Mt Desert Island High School
Mt Desert Island High School places among the top 20% of public schools in Maine for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 20%)
- Student Attention Lowest teacher:student ratio (Top 20%)
- Mt Desert Island High School's student population of 531 students has grown by 21% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 53 teachers has grown by 6% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||531 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||53 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Mt Desert Island High School's student:teacher ratio of 10:1 has increased from 9:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (ME)|
|Overall School Rank||#24 out of 525 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||45-49%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||75-79%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1||12:1|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Mt Desert CSD School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Southwest Harbor Pemetic Elementary School Grades: K-8 | 146 students
327 Main Street
Southwest Harbor, ME 04679
(207)244-5502 4.9 K-8 146
- Northeast Harbor Mt Desert Elementary School Grades: K-8 | 181 students
8 Joy Road
Northeast Harbor, ME 04662
(207)276-3348 5.0 K-8 181
- Ellsworth Trenton Elementary School Grades: K-8 | 123 students
51 School Road
Ellsworth, ME 04605
(207)667-8447 6.9 K-8 123
- Bass Harbor Tremont Consolidated School Grades: K-8 | 126 students
119 Tremont Road
Bass Harbor, ME 04653
(207)244-7777 8.0 K-8 126
My names is James Doughty. I grew up in Somesville when there were many high schools on the island. Somesville in the town of Mt. Desert. Our whole high school had about 15 boys and basketball was very important to us. I rermember the day when Carlo Nimfi, charles leland and I decided we should have a mascot, Carlo had seen newsreels of a California team who were called Trojans. We decided that would be appropiate. So that' how you got your nickname. What I really want to know is why has the prunounciation of Mt. Desert changed? By the way I'm 88 years old.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - jeand
Your child’s education is not just his teacher’s responsibility. As a parent, you have the ability to supplement your child’s education at home and to help him succeed in school. Read on to learn some tips to help your child make the most of his education in 2020.
Childhood experiences shape who we become as adults, for good and bad. The new Surgeon General of California is pushing for childhood trauma screening in students in the hopes of resolving some of the issues that might later lead to the development of physical and mental health problems.
Millions of people struggle with mental health issues on a daily basis, but no one wants to think that these issues might affect children. As a parent, it is your responsibility to know what your child needs and to provide it. This includes identifying problem behaviors and seeking treatment when your child needs help.