Northwood Middle School
Northwood Middle School serves 177 students in grades 6-8.
Northwood Middle School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Virginia for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 90-94% (which is higher than the Virginia state average of 82%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 80-84% (which is higher than the Virginia state average of 78%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 9:1 is lower than the Virginia state level of 14:1.
Minority enrollment is 6% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Virginia state average of 54% (majority Black).
- Grades: 6-8
- Students: 177 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 9:1
- Minority Enrollment: 6%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 30% in VA
- Math Proficiency: 90-94% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: 80-84% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), VA Dept. of Education
Northwood Middle School's student population of 177 students has declined by 12% over five school years.
The teacher population of 20 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
(offers virtual instruction)
(offers virtual instruction)
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Northwood Middle School is ranked within the top 30% of all 1,800 schools in Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Northwood Middle School is 0.11, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.70. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (VA)
Overall Testing Rank
#392 out of 1800 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), VA Dept. of Education
There are hawt guys here!!!The sports stuff is good too & so is the building!
Review Northwood Middle School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.
July 11, 2022Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps or JROTC
JROTC offers valuable lessons in leadership, character-building and citizenship. Here's a look at the various JROTC programs out there together with a look at the pros and cons of the program.
July 05, 2022Teaching: Contract Renewal
Most teaching contracts are year-to-year, or longer if you're eligible. Here are some suggestions for safeguarding your employment.