Highlander School District
- For the 2019-20 school year, there is 1 public school managed by Highlander School District serving 520 students in Providence, Rhode Island.
- Minority enrollment is 93% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is more than the Rhode Island state average of 41%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 12:1 is less than the state average of 13:1.
Highlander School District (2019-20)
- School Location Grades Students
- Providence Highlander Charter 42 Lexington Avenue
Providence, RI 02907
Grades: PK-12 | 520 students
|School District Name||Highlander School District|
|# of Schools||n/a|
|# of Students||520 students|
|# of Teachers||44 Teacher(s)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
|# of Male Students||251 students|
|% Male Students|
|# of Female Students||269 students|
|% Female Students|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||10 students|
|% American Indian Students|
|# of Asian Students||8 students|
|% Asian Students|
|# of Hispanic Students||319 students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||97 students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||36 students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||1 students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||49 students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||24|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||32|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||36|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||36|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||37|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||37|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||36|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||36|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||60|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||60|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||33|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||38|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||35|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||20|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-|
- Highlander School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 57 school districts in Rhode Island (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 80% has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (RI)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $15,462 in this school district is less than the state average of $22,360. The school district revenue/student has grown by 12% over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $14,742 is less than the state average of $23,978. The school district spending/student has grown by 12% over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||This State (RI)|
|Total Revenue||$5 MM||$30 MM|
|Spending||$5 MM||$32 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$15,462||$22,360|
|Spending / Student||$14,742||$23,978|
As the school year kicks into full swing, we examine the many fees and other hidden costs lurking in a “free” public education today.