South Athens Elementary School
South Athens Elementary School serves 483 students in grades Prekindergarten-5.
South Athens Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Texas for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 60-64% (which is higher than the Texas state average of 51%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 45-49% (which is approximately equal to the Texas state average of 47%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 15:1 is equal to the Texas state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 67% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Texas state average of 72% (majority Hispanic).
South Athens Elementary School's student population of 483 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 33 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
South Athens Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 8,043 schools in Texas (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of South Athens Elementary School is 0.62, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.64. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (TX)
Overall Testing Rank
#2298 out of 8043 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, TX Dept. of Education
Review South Athens Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities