Van Nuys Elementary School
Van Nuys Elementary School places among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Percent Eligible For Free Lunch Largest percent of students eligible for gree lunch (Top 20%)
- Van Nuys Elementary School's student population of 633 students has grown by 13% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 26 teachers has grown by 8% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||633 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||26 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Van Nuys Elementary School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 9595 schools in California (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 24:1 has increased from 23:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School||State Level (CA)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||24:1||24:1|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
- The school district of Van Nuys Elementary School is Los Angeles Unified School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 983 school districts in California (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Los Angeles Unified School District's student population of 633,165 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The revenue/student of $12,871 is higher than the state average of $11,049. The district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The district's spending/student of $14,853 is higher than the state average of $11,340. The district spending/student has grown by 13% over four school years.
|School District Name||Los Angeles Unified School District|
|Number of Schools|
|Number of Students Managed||633,165||1,585|
|District Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Total Revenue||$8,437 MM||$18 MM|
|District Spending||$9,736 MM||$18 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$12,871||$11,049|
|District Spending / Student||$14,853||$11,340|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Van Nuys Ararat Charter Grades: K-5 | 340 students
6555 Sylmar Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91401
(818)994-2904 0.1 K-5 340
- Van Nuys Van Nuys Senior High School Grades: 9-12 | 2594 students
6535 Cedros Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91411
(818)778-6800 0.4 9-12 2594
- Van Nuys Will Rogers Continuation High School Grades: 9-12 | 184 students
14711 Gilmore St
Van Nuys, CA 91411
(818)778-6895 0.4 9-12 184
- Van Nuys Andres And Maria Cardenas Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 524 students
6900 Calhoun Ave.
Van Nuys, CA 91405
(818)908-6700 0.6 K-5 524
- Van Nuys Champs - Charter High School Of Arts-multimedia & Performing Grades: 9-12 | 800 students
6842 Van Nuys Blvd.
Van Nuys, CA 91405
(818)994-7614 0.7 9-12 800
We analyze on a new study that shows restricting sugary snacks in vending machines in schools resulted in less weight-gain over a three-year period.
A number of school districts across the country are considering the closure of some of their public schools. We’ll look at reasons for the closures and what parents are doing to protest.
We report on the back to school campaign launched by CPS despite huge issues facing the district, including reports of school officials lying to get their children free lunches, conflicts between administrators and teachers’ union, and a lower bond rating.