Hoonah City School District
- For the 2020 school year, there are 2 public schools in Hoonah City School District, serving 118 students.
- Public school in Hoonah City School District have an average math proficiency score of 28% (versus the Alaska public school average of 32%), and reading proficiency score of 33% (versus the 39% statewide average). This district's average school ranking is in the bottom 50% of public schools in Alaska.
- Minority enrollment is 92% of the student body (majority American Indian), which is more than the Alaska public school average of 52% (majority American Indian).
- The student:teacher ratio of 13:1 is less than the Alaska public school average of 17:1.
|School District Name||Hoonah City School District|
|School District Website||http://www.hoonahschools.org|
|School District Phone Number||(907)945-3613|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AK)|
|# of Schools||2 Schools||509 Schools|
|# of Students||118 Students||132,872 Students|
|# of Teachers||9 Teachers||7,748 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1||17:1|
- Hoonah City School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 54 school districts in Alaska (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-2017 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 50% has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (AK)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||20-29%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||20-29%|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||60 Students||30,415 Students|
|% American Indian Students|
|# of Asian Students||n/a||7,785 Students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||1 Student||8,868 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||4 Students||3,866 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||9 Students||63,227 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a||3,914 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||44 Students||14,797 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||2||3,586|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||10||10,196|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||10||10,243|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||12||10,331|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||12||10,409|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||5||10,398|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||9||10,229|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||8||10,007|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||12||9,741|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||8||9,478|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||6||9,584|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||8||9,285|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||7||9,503|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||9||9,882|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||-|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $32,328 is higher than the state average of $24,325. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $32,767 is higher than the state average of $24,500. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AK)|
|Total Revenue||$4 MM||$10 MM|
|Spending||$4 MM||$10 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$32,328||$24,325|
|Spending / Student||$32,767||$24,500|
Hoonah City School District Public Schools (2020)
Learn more about Cato Middle College High, a school that allows students to get a head start on college courses while still in high school.
Public schools in the United States have an interesting history. Learn about how these public institutions developed into a cornerstone of our country's education.
Schools all over the country have closed their doors to slow the spread of COVID-19, forcing educators and parents to switch to online learning strategies. Read on to learn where to start with homeschooling and for helpful resources for learning at home.