John Shaw Elementary School
John Shaw Elementary School places among the top 20% of public schools in Alaska for:
- Category Attribute
- Overall Rank Highest overall rank (Top 10%)
- Math Proficiency Highest math proficiency (Top 5%)
- Reading/Language Arts Proficiency Highest reading/language arts proficiency (Top 20%)
- John Shaw Elementary School's student population of 447 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 25 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||447 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- John Shaw Elementary School is ranked within the top 10% of all 466 schools in Alaska (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 18:1 has stayed the same over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (AK)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#38 out of 466 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||65-69%|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||55-59%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1||17:1|
|Two or more races|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Wasilla Meadow Lakes Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 425 students
1741 Pittman Rd
Wasilla, AK 99654
(907) 352-6100 1.7 PK-5 425
- Wasilla Midnight Sun Family Learning Center Grades: K-8 | 192 students
7275 W Midnight Sun Cir
Wasilla, AK 99654
(907) 357-6786 2.1 K-8 192
- Wasilla American Charter Academy Grades: K-12 | 211 students
7362 W Parks Hwy #725
Wasilla, AK 99623
(907) 352-0150 3.0 K-12 211
- Big Lake Houston Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 382 students
12801 W Hawk Ln
Big Lake, AK 99652
(907) 892-9500 4.0 6-8 382
- Houston Houston High School Grades: 9-12 | 370 students
12501 W Hawk Lane
Houston, AK 99694
(907) 892-9400 4.2 9-12 370
Gangs, drugs, and guns may be more prevalent on public school campuses than parents think. Learn about the high percentage of public school students who are exposed to these dangers each day – and what parents can do to protect their kids.
President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper initiative aims to improve academic opportunities for students of color, especially African-American boys.
Learn about how public schools across the country are mandating community service hours in order to graduate.