Top Maryland Alternative Public Middle Schools
- For the 2018-19 school year, there are 15 top alternative public middle schools in Maryland, serving 1,329 students.
- Alternative schools aim to help students whose needs may not be successfully met in regular schools.
- Students who attend alternative schools and may be at risk of educational failure (as indicated by poor grades, truancy, disruptive behavior, pregnancy, or similar factors associated with temporary or permanent withdrawal from school).
- Minority enrollment is 83% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the Maryland state average of 61%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 5:1 is less than the state average of 15:1.
Top Maryland Alternative Public Middle Schools (2018-19)
- School Location Grades Students
- Rockville Alternative Programs High School 14501 Avery Road
Rockville, MD 20853
Grades: 7-12 | 110 students
- Towson Bcdc Educational Center 105 W. Chesapeake Avenue
Towson, MD 21204
Grades: 8-12 | 14 students
- Prince Frederick Calvert County Alternative School 520 Fox Run Blvd
Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Grades: 7-11 | 4 students
- Aberdeen Center For Educational Opportunity 253 Paradise Rd
Aberdeen, MD 21001
Grades: 7-12 | 53 students
- Middle River Crossroads Center 11640 Crossroads Circle
Middle River, MD 21220
Grades: 7-10 | 178 students
- Westminster Crossroads Middle School 45 Kate Wagner Rd
Westminster, MD 21157
Grades: 6-8 | 13 students
- Suitland Green Valley Academy At Edgar Allan Poe 2001 Shadyside Avenue
Suitland, MD 20746
Grades: 6-10 | 115 students
- Towson Home Assignments-secondary 105 W. Chesapeake Avenue
Towson, MD 21204
Grades: 8-12 | 25 students
- Annapolis Mary Moss At Adams Academy 245 Clay Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
Grades: 6-9 | 85 students
- Laurel Maya Angelou Academy At New Beginnings Formerly Oak Hill 8400 River Road
Laurel, MD 20724
Grades: 8-12 | 35 students
- Gwynn Oak Meadowood Education Center 1849 Gywnn Oak Ave
Gwynn Oak, MD 21207
Grades: 6-8 | 40 students
- Pomfret Robert D. Stethem Educational Center 7775 Marshall Corner Rd
Pomfret, MD 20675
Grades: 7-12 | 17 students
- Rosedale Rosedale Center 8200 Old Philadelphia Rd
Rosedale, MD 21237
Grades: 6-12 | 82 students
We examine the issue of Internet access in public schools, particularly in light of recent allegations from a father that his daughter was allowed to visit online dating websites from her school during class hours.
Special education teachers face a unique set of challenges, and so do the parents of special needs students. Keep reading to learn some practical tips for making your life as a special needs teacher or parent easier.
Taking the SAT or ACT is a major source of stress for high school students. Keep reading to learn how to choose the right test and how to prepare for it.