Top Maryland Alternative Public Middle Schools
- For the 2018-19 school year, there are 13 top alternative public middle schools in Maryland, serving 1,291 students.
- Alternative schools aim to help students whose needs may not be successfully met in regular schools.
- Students who attend alternative schools and may be at risk of educational failure (as indicated by poor grades, truancy, disruptive behavior, pregnancy, or similar factors associated with temporary or permanent withdrawal from school).
- Minority enrollment is 84% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the Maryland state average of 61%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 5:1 is less than the state average of 15:1.
Top Maryland Alternative Public Middle Schools (2018-19)
- School Location Grades Students
- Rockville Alternative Programs High School 14501 Avery Road
Rockville, MD 20853
Grades: 7-12 | 110 students
- Towson Bcdc Educational Center 105 W. Chesapeake Avenue
Towson, MD 21204
Grades: 8-12 | 14 students
- Prince Frederick Calvert County Alternative School 520 Fox Run Blvd
Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Grades: 7-11 | 4 students
- Aberdeen Center For Educational Opportunity 253 Paradise Rd
Aberdeen, MD 21001
Grades: 7-12 | 53 students
- Middle River Crossroads Center 11640 Crossroads Circle
Middle River, MD 21220
Grades: 7-10 | 178 students
- Suitland Green Valley Academy At Edgar Allan Poe 2001 Shadyside Avenue
Suitland, MD 20746
Grades: 6-10 | 115 students
- Annapolis Mary Moss At Adams Academy 245 Clay Street
Annapolis, MD 21401
Grades: 6-9 | 85 students
- Laurel Maya Angelou Academy At New Beginnings Formerly Oak Hill 8400 River Road
Laurel, MD 20724
Grades: 8-12 | 35 students
- Gwynn Oak Meadowood Education Center 1849 Gywnn Oak Ave
Gwynn Oak, MD 21207
Grades: 6-8 | 40 students
- Pomfret Robert D. Stethem Educational Center 7775 Marshall Corner Rd
Pomfret, MD 20675
Grades: 7-12 | 17 students
- Rosedale Rosedale Center 8200 Old Philadelphia Rd
Rosedale, MD 21237
Grades: 6-12 | 82 students
While some schools are debating whether to teach sex ed, Philadelphia schools will be making free condoms available in 22 schools across the district.
The world is in a constant state of change and those who fail to adjust fall behind. Unfortunately, the American public education system has not kept up with the times and is currently facing a number of serious problems. Keep reading to learn about the biggest failures affecting the modern U.S. public education system as well as some of the trends that could spark change.
Summer break is a time to kick back and relax but it is also a great time to do activities that will boost your college applications. Keep reading to see how to boost your application this summer.