Southern Elementary School
Southern Elementary School places among the top 20% of public schools in Delaware for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 20%)
- Southern Elementary School's student population of 870 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 64 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||870 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||64 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Southern Elementary School's student:teacher ratio of 14:1 has stayed the same over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (DE)|
|Overall School Rank||#99 out of 200 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch||n/a||n/a|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch||n/a||n/a|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Colonial School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New Castle Bedford (gunning) Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 1093 students
801 Cox Neck Road
New Castle, DE 19720
(302)832-6280 0.1 6-8 1093
- Bear Wilbur (kathleen H.) Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 1123 students
4050 Wrangle Hill Road
Bear, DE 19701
(302)832-6330 2.5 K-5 1123
- Middletown St. Georges Technical High School Grades: 9-12 | 1120 students
555 Hyetts Corner Rd.
Middletown, DE 19709
(302)449-3360 3.2 9-12 1120
- Newark Leasure (may B.) Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 497 students
1015 Church Road
Newark, DE 19702
(302)454-2103 4.9 PK-5 497
- Middletown Cedar Lane Early Childhood Center Grades: PK-K | 237 students
1221 Cedar Lane Road
Middletown, DE 19709
(302)449-5873 5.1 PK-K 237
Not just kids need schooling. Learn about the Parent Academy offered through Miami-Dade County Public Schools, where parents go back to school.
Across the country, parents are opting their children out of Common Core testing, with New York City seeing some of the biggest opt-out numbers. How is this massive school district handling the situation?
Every child learns differently and it’s a teacher’s job to meet students where they are and guide them through the learning process. Scaffolding is a teaching tool that helps students develop critical thinking skills and the ability to learn independently.