Southwest Open Charter School
Southwest Open Charter School serves 145 students in grades 9-12.
Southwest Open Charter School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Colorado for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is <50% (which is higher than the Colorado state average of 35%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is <50% (which is higher than the Colorado state average of 47%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is lower than the Colorado state level of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 39% of the student body (majority American Indian), which is lower than the Colorado state average of 47% (majority Hispanic).
Southwest Open Charter School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Colorado for:
Percent Eligible For Free Lunch
Southwest Open Charter School's student population of 145 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 9 teachers has grown by 50% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Southwest Open Charter School is ranked within the top 30% of all 1,783 schools in Colorado (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Southwest Open Charter School is 0.56, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.60. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (CO)
Overall Testing Rank
#510 out of 1783 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, CO Dept. of Education
I always believe innovation that best fit student ability to learn should be the standard, and SW Open High School is such a school. It does not fit all students, but those that need alternative method of learning.
Review Southwest Open Charter School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Is Your Child’s School Prepared for a Pandemic Health Threat?
Learn about how your school will address pandemic health issues, such as the H1N1 virus, and how you can be proactive in learning about school closing guidelines.
Can Your Child’s School Meet the National Standards?
With changing state and national educational standards, will your child's public school have the ability to meet these requirements? Learn about the problems with public school performance and how parents can get involved.
Should Public Schools Provide Students with Vocational Opportunities?
Learn about the benefits associated with vocational education at public high schools, including high-demand career opportunities and improved learning for kinetic and active students.