Vernor Elementary School
Vernor Elementary School places among the top 20% of public schools in Michigan for:
- Category Attribute
- Percent Eligible For Free Lunch Largest percent of students eligible for free lunch (Top 20%)
- Vernor Elementary School's student population of 243 students has grown by 10% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 14 teachers has grown by 16% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||243 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Vernor Elementary School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 3,119 schools in Michigan (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has decreased from 18:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (MI)|
|Overall School Rank||#2604 out of 3119 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||≤5%|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||10-14%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||18:1|
|Two or more races|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Detroit Public Schools Community School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- The nearest high school, middle school and elementary school to Vernor Elementary School is David Ellis Academy (0.6 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Detroit Jalen Rose Leadership Academy Grades: 9-12 | 416 students
15000 Trojan Street
Detroit, MI 48235
(313) 397-3333 0.7 9-12 416
- Detroit Macdowell Preparatory Academy Grades: PK-8 | 343 students
4201 West Outer Dr
Detroit, MI 48221
(313) 494-8141 0.9 PK-8 343
- Oak Park Einstein Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 590 students
14001 Northend Ave
Oak Park, MI 48237
(248) 336-7640 1.0 PK-5 590
- Detroit Bates Academy Grades: PK-8 | 704 students
19701 Wyoming St
Detroit, MI 48221
(313) 494-7000 1.1 PK-8 704
Should sixth graders be placed in elementary or middle school? We explore the pros and cons of the issue.
Learn 8 ways to guide your conversations with children when discussing high-profile acts of violence in schools.
Traditional Christmas carols, such as "Silent Night," may be sounds of the past on public school campuses. Learn about why schools are banning Christmas carols and how some parents are protesting the changes.