Weirton Elementary School

3428 Pennsylvania Ave
Weirton, WV 26062
  • Weirton Elementary School serves 979 students in grades Prekindergarten-4.
  • The percentage of students achieving proficiency in Math is 53% (which is higher than the West Virginia state average of 35%) for the 2016-17 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in Reading/Language Arts is 47% (which is equal to the West Virginia state average of 47%) for the 2016-17 school year.
  • Weirton Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in West Virginia for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2016-17 school year.
  • The student:teacher ratio of 17:1 is higher than the West Virginia state level of 15:1.
  • Minority enrollment is 10% of the student body (majority Black), which is equal to the West Virginia state average of 10%.

Top Placements

Weirton Elementary School places among the top 20% of public schools in West Virginia for:

School Overview

  • Weirton Elementary School's student population of 979 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
  • The teacher population of 57 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Grades OfferedGrades Prekindergarten-4
Total Students979 students
Total Classroom Teachers57 teachers
Students by GradeThis chart display the students of Weirton Elementary School by grade.

School Comparison

  • Weirton Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 639 schools in West Virginia (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-17 school year.
  • The school's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has increased from 16:1 over five school years.
  • The diversity score of Weirton Elementary School is 0.19, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.18. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year DataThis SchoolState Level (WV)
Overall School Rank (16-17)#178 out of 639 schools
(Top 30%)
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
53%
35%
This chart display the percentage of students that scored at or above 'proficient' levels in Math of Weirton Elementary School and the percentage of public school students that scored at or above 'proficient' levels in Math of public schools in West Virginia by year, with the latest 2016-17 school year data.
Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient) (16-17)
47%
47%
Student : Teacher Ratio17:115:1
Hispanic
1%
2%
Black
5%
4%
White
90%
90%
Two or more races
4%
3%
All Ethnic GroupsThis chart display the percentage breakdown of students of all ethnic groups in Weirton Elementary School.This chart display the percentage breakdown of public school students of all ethnic groups in WV.
Diversity Score0.190.18
School Statewide TestingView Education Department Test Scores
School District NameHancock County Schools School District
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, WV Dept. of Education

Nearby Public Schools

  • The nearest high school to Weirton Elementary School is Weir High School (2.3 miles away)
  • The nearest middle school, elementary school is Weir Middle School (2.3 miles away)
Show me:

School Reviews

Review Weirton Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:

  • Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
  • Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities

I am a:

Name or Alias:

Your review:

Rate this school:
Recent Articles
President Obama’s recent address included infrastructure funding for renovating schools. We’ll look at the plan overall and some of the states that would benefit from the plan.
Schools all over the country have closed their doors to slow the spread of COVID-19, forcing educators and parents to switch to online learning strategies. Read on to learn where to start with homeschooling and for helpful resources for learning at home.
As schools around the country close for two weeks or more, parents find themselves asking some tough questions. Read on to learn about the current and future impact of COVID-19 on students in public schools.