Galena City School District
- For the 2020 school year, there are 4 public schools in Galena City School District, serving 4,569 students.
- Minority enrollment is 25% of the student body (majority American Indian), which is less than the Alaska public school average of 52% (majority American Indian).
- The student:teacher ratio of 73:1 is more than the Alaska public school average of 17:1.
|School District Name||Galena City School District|
|School District Website||http://www.galenaalaska.org|
|School District Phone Number||(907)656-1883|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AK)|
|# of Schools||4 Schools||509 Schools|
|# of Students||4,569 Students||132,872 Students|
|# of Teachers||63 Teachers||7,748 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||73:1||17:1|
- Galena City School District, which is ranked within the top 50% of all 54 school districts in Alaska (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-2017 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 79% has increased from 73% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (AK)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||654 Students||30,415 Students|
|% American Indian Students|
|# of Asian Students||55 Students||7,785 Students|
|% Asian Students|
|# of Hispanic Students||139 Students||8,868 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||63 Students||3,866 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||3,423 Students||63,227 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||33 Students||3,914 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students|
|# of Two or more races Students||202 Students||14,797 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||163||3,586|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||339||10,196|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||343||10,243|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||325||10,331|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||359||10,409|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||333||10,398|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||320||10,229|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||322||10,007|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||309||9,741|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||285||9,478|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||333||9,584|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||327||9,285|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||341||9,503|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||470||9,882|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||-|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $7,211 in this school district is less than the state average of $24,325. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $7,220 is less than the state average of $24,500. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AK)|
|Total Revenue||$28 MM||$10 MM|
|Spending||$28 MM||$10 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$7,211||$24,325|
|Spending / Student||$7,220||$24,500|
Galena City School District Public Schools (2020)
School (Math/Reading Proficiency)
- Galena Interior Learning Academy (gila) 359 Challenger
Galena, AK 99741
Grades: 9-12 | 237 students
- Interior Distance Education Of Alaska (idea) 2157 Van Horn Rd
Fairbanks, AK 99701
Grades: PK-12 | 4,236 students
- Sidney C. Huntington Elementary School 299 Antoski Ave
Galena, AK 99741
Grades: PK-6 | 55 students
- Sidney C. Huntington Jr/sr High School 299 Antoski Ave
Galena, AK 99741
Grades: 7-12 | 41 students
We report on new legislation in Mississippi that allows students to pray publicly in their schools across the state. Now, schools must develop policies to allow for prayer – but the new law is loaded with controversy.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the financial impact of COVID-19 on public schools and what to expect in the future. We’ll talk about the effects of budget cuts and other challenges affecting the public school system for the remainder of this school year and into the next.
As the nation works to recover from COVID-19, parents wonder what the fall of 2020 holds in terms of the upcoming school year. Read on to learn some tips for preparing for potential challenges and to see the answers to some of the biggest questions being asked by parents of school-age children.