American Academy places among the top 20% of public schools in Colorado for:
- Category Attribute
- Overall Rank Highest overall rank (Top 20%)
- Math Proficiency Highest math proficiency (Top 20%)
- Reading Language/Arts Proficiency Highest reading language/arts proficiency (Top 20%)
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 5%)
- American Academy's student population of 1,782 students has grown by 15% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 106 teachers has grown by 20% over five school years.
|School Type||Charter School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||1,782 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||106 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- American Academy is ranked within the top 20% of all 1,704 schools in Colorado (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-16 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has decreased from 18:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School||State Level (CO)|
|Overall School Rank||#192 out of 1,704 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||17:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Douglas County No. Re 1 School District|
- American Academy will achieve academic excellence through a challenging, sequenced curriculum emphasizing science, technology, engineering and math to provide our students with the tools to become the leaders of tomorrow. Together, students, faculty, parents, and community will cultivate character, civic responsibility, and intellectual development.
- ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE
- Students' thirst for knowledge are satisfied every day in every grade as they learn a body of knowledge that we all share, without gaps and repetitions. They learn reading and critical thinking by having something exciting to read and think about. And most importantly, students are taught and encouraged to take responsibility for their work and to self-advocate for the help and information they need as they are challenged and grow.
- A STEM EMPHASIS
- Science is a daily subject in most grades and STEM Discovery takes place throughout the year so that students are exposed regularly to exciting new worlds and innovations like biotechnology, space, engineering, nanotechnology, and many more. Parents will have a portal into their child’s education from a home computer or smartphone. Technology will be available throughout the school every day to enable excellence in education and streamlined communication for staff, students and parents.
- CONSISTENT CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
- Character values are woven into the curriculum throughout the school day so that students learn the meaning of integrity, respect, and responsibility, and are regularly recognized for demonstrating these traits in their daily activities and interactions.
- A SCHOOL CULTURE OF RESPECT AND RESPONSIBILITY
- Staff, parents, and administration set an example of respect and responsibility for the students to follow each day. Students are taught how to interact kindly and respectfully with their peers and adults. Board, administration, staff, students and parents work together towards the common goal of academic excellence.
- A CHALLENGE FOR EVERY STUDENT
- Students are challenged at every level of ability, and taught to always raise the bar for themselves. High expectations are the norm and boredom is not an option.
- At American Academy, we're teaching innovation, innovating education, and exploring every new day.
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Englewood Willow Creek Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 550 students
7855 South Willow Way
Englewood, CO 80112
(720)554-3900 1.0 PK-5 550
- Englewood Hope Online Learning Academy Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 1150 students
373 Inverness Parkway Suite 20
Englewood, CO 80112
(720)402-3000 1.2 K-5 1150
We love this school! I have two kids who have attended American Academy since the beginning and both have been extremely well-prepared for high school. I can't compare this school to any other, since we never attended any other, but we did not have more than an hour or two of homework each night except on very rare occasions and though the expectations were high, I mostly felt that showed in the strict late policies and the expectation that students in 5th grade and above learn to advocate for themselves when they needed help in a subject. Both kids learned how to approach teachers respectfully and communicate in person and in writing to accomplish this self-advocacy, and my high school sophomore constantly refers to AA as the place where she learned this most important of life skills. The school doesn't work for everyone - if your student needs to be a straight-A student above all else, this may be too much for you. A's are earned, not handed out. But if you can allow your student to grow and learn without hovering and worrying too much, this school will open doors! I highly recommend American Academy!
- Posted by Parent - trish
We couldn't be happier with American Academy. The education is top notch, our kids love it, and we haven't had a teacher with disagreed with in 6 years/3 kids. Being a charter, 40 hrs of parent involvement is well worth the advantage over our local elementary.
- Posted by Parent - scott
While some schools are debating whether to teach sex ed, Philadelphia schools will be making free condoms available in 22 schools across the district.
The world is in a constant state of change and those who fail to adjust fall behind. Unfortunately, the American public education system has not kept up with the times and is currently facing a number of serious problems. Keep reading to learn about the biggest failures affecting the modern U.S. public education system as well as some of the trends that could spark change.
Summer break is a time to kick back and relax but it is also a great time to do activities that will boost your college applications. Keep reading to see how to boost your application this summer.