Deans Mill School serves 453 students in grades Prekindergarten-5.
Deans Mill School placed in the top 10% of all schools in Connecticut for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 10%, and reading proficiency is top 20%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 72% (which is higher than the Connecticut state average of 39%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 74% (which is higher than the Connecticut state average of 51%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 12:1 is equal to the Connecticut state level of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 14% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Connecticut state average of 50% (majority Hispanic).
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: Prekindergarten-5
- Enrollment: 453 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 12:1
- Minority Enrollment: 14%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 10% in CT
- Math Proficiency: 72% (Top 10%)
- Reading Proficiency: 74% (Top 20%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CT Dept. of Education
Deans Mill School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Connecticut for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Deans Mill School's student population of 453 students has grown by 19% over five school years.
The teacher population of 39 teachers has grown by 30% over five school years.
(offers virtual instruction)
(offers virtual instruction)
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Deans Mill School is ranked within the top 10% of all 940 schools in Connecticut (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of Deans Mill School is 0.26, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.66. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (CT)
Overall Testing Rank
#85 out of 940 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CT Dept. of Education
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Deans Mill School's ranking?
Deans Mill School is ranked #85 out of 940 schools, which ranks it among the top 10% of public schools in Connecticut.
What schools are Deans Mill School often compared to?
Deans Mill Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like West Vine Street School by visitors of our site.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
72% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 39% CT state average), while 74% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 51% CT state average).
How many students attend Deans Mill School?
453 students attend Deans Mill School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
86% of Deans Mill School students are White, 6% of students are Hispanic, 5% of students are Two or more races, 2% of students are Asian, and 1% of students are Black.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Deans Mill School?
Deans Mill School has a student ration of 12:1, which is equal to the Connecticut state average of 12:1.
What grades does Deans Mill School offer ?
Deans Mill School offers enrollment in grades Prekindergarten-5 (offers virtual instruction).
What school district is Deans Mill School part of?
Deans Mill School is part of Stonington School District.
Review Deans Mill School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
A Story of Overcoming Common Reading Difficulties
Follow the story of Sarah, a fictional character who overcame common reading difficulties with the help of the three cueing system. This blog post explores the advantages and disadvantages of the three cueing system and provides strategies for implementing it effectively.
Voucher Program Update: Florida
Many states now offer voucher programs. We look at the voucher program available in Florida.
Standardized tests have a long history in American K-12 education. We examine what standardized tests evaluate and more.