Salem School District
- For the 2021 school year, there are 3 public high schools in Salem School District, serving 991 students. Public high schools in Salem School District have an average math proficiency score of 54% (versus the Massachusetts public high school average of 68%), and reading proficiency score of 82% (versus the 78% statewide average). This district's average high testing ranking is 3/10, which is in the bottom 50% of public high schools in Massachusetts.
- public high school in Salem School District have a Graduation Rate of 83%, which is less than the Massachusetts average of 88%.
- The school with highest graduation rate is Salem High School, with 89% graduation rate. Read more about public school graduation rate statistics in Massachusetts or national school graduation rate statistics.
- Minority enrollment is 58% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is more than the Massachusetts public high school average of 39% (majority Hispanic).
- The student:teacher ratio of 9:1 is less than the Massachusetts public high school average of 12:1.
|School District Name||Salem School District|
|School District Website||http://salemk12.org|
|School District Phone Number||(978) 740-1212|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (MA)|
|# of Schools||3 Schools||406 Schools|
|# of Students||991 Students||326,760 Students|
|# of Teachers||109 Teachers||26,254 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1||12:1|
- Salem School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 302 school districts in Massachusetts (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-2018 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 82% has decreased from 86% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (MA)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#343 out of 403 school districts|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||n/a||742 Students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||28 Students||20,776 Students|
|% Asian Students|
|# of Hispanic Students||432 Students||61,310 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||73 Students||34,827 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||416 Students||199,128 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a||303 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||40 Students||9,587 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||-||1,150|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||-||1,430|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||-||1,407|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||-||1,478|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||-||1,440|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||-||1,453|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||-||2,406|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||-||4,762|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||-||8,229|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||3||10,536|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||257||76,601|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||232||73,016|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||247||71,748|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||247||70,028|
|# of Ungraded Students:||5||1,076|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $26,570 is higher than the state median of $20,340. The school district revenue/student has grown by 9% over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $24,984 is higher than the state median of $18,839. The school district spending/student has grown by 9% over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017||This School District||This State (MA)|
|Total Revenue||$98 MM||$28 MM|
|Spending||$92 MM||$26 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$26,570||$20,340|
|Revenue / Student||$24,984||$18,839|
Salem School District Public High Schools (2021)
- School (Math and Reading Proficiency) Location Grades Students
- Salem High School 77 Willson Street
Salem, MA 01970
Grades: 9-12 | 920 students
- New Liberty Innovation School 2 East India Square, Suite 200
Salem, MA 01970
Grades: 9-12 | 45 students
- Salem Prep High School 2 East India Square, 2nd Floor
Salem, MA 01970
Grades: 8-12 | 26 students
A number of school districts either have or are considering homework-free weekend policies, but the idea is not without its share of controversy. We’ll take a look at both sides of the issue.
In light of an upcoming study on Montessori education in South Carolina, as well as the growing popularity of the Montessori Method in public charter schools, we’ll take a look at the principles behind Montessori education and whether it is an effective method for preparing some students for the professional world or higher education.
Across the nation, city mayors have increased their role and control over the local public school system. Learn about the controversies and the ramifications of mayoral control.