- Southside K-8's student population of 433 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 36 teachers has declined by 10% over five school years.
|School Type||Magnet School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||433 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Southside K-8's student:teacher ratio of 12:1 has stayed the same over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (WV)|
|Overall School Rank||--|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch||n/a|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch||n/a|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Mcdowell County s School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Welch Career And Technology Center Grades: PK-12
Welch, WV 24801
(304)436-3488 9.9 PK-12 n/a
- Bradshaw Bradshaw Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 268 students
740 Mountaineer Highway
Bradshaw, WV 24817
(304)938-2904 10.1 PK-5 268
- Avondale Sandy River Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 237 students
Avondale, WV 24811
(304)938-2407 10.1 6-8 237
- Big Sandy Fall River Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 161 students
Big Sandy, WV 24816
(304)656-7665 10.7 PK-5 161
As the school year kicks into full swing, we examine the many fees and other hidden costs lurking in a “free” public education today.
Being a parent is never easy, but some children are more challenging than others. If you're concerned that your child's behavioral issues might be more than just temporary, consider whether an alternative school might be the next move.
All students deserve to have an equal chance at academic success but not every student learns in the same way. Alternative schools provide students with unique challenges or abilities an opportunity to succeed in a different educational setting. Keep reading to learn more about alternative schools and their impact on college admissions.