Bigelow Middle School
- Bigelow Middle School's student population of 525 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 50 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-8|
|Total Students||525 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Bigelow Middle School's student:teacher ratio of 11:1 has increased from 10:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (MA)|
|Overall School Rank||#290 out of 1,671 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1||13:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch||n/a||n/a|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch||n/a||n/a|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Newton School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Newton Underwood Grades: K-5 | 313 students
101 Vernon Street
Newton, MA 02458
(617)559-9660 0.2 K-5 313
- Newton Lincoln-eliot Grades: K-5 | 346 students
191 Pearl Street
Newton, MA 02458
(617)559-9540 0.8 K-5 346
- Newton Center John Ward Grades: K-5 | 312 students
10 Dolphin Rd
Newton Center, MA 02459
(617)559-6450 0.9 K-5 312
- Newtonville Cabot Grades: K-5 | 400 students
229 Cabot Street
Newtonville, MA 02460
(617)559-9400 1.0 K-5 400
- Brighton Lyon K-8 Grades: K-8 | 139 students
50 Beechcroft Street
Brighton, MA 02135
(617)635-7945 1.0 K-8 139
Learn about the advantages and disadvantages of public school vouchers as they pertain to the education of students with disabilities.
As of 2014, nineteen states still allow corporal punishment – spanking and paddling the most common choices – in their public schools. However, some argue that not only are these punishments physically harmful, they also are disproportionately administered to students of color. As a result, House democrats have taken up the issue in a new bill that would ban all forms of corporal punishment nationwide.
Every child learns differently and it’s a teacher’s job to meet students where they are and guide them through the learning process. Scaffolding is a teaching tool that helps students develop critical thinking skills and the ability to learn independently.