Birchwood Abc Elementary School
Birchwood Abc Elementary School serves 292 students in grades Prekindergarten-6.
Birchwood Abc Elementary School placed in the top 5% of all schools in Alaska for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 65-69% (which is higher than the Alaska state average of 39%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 60-64% (which is higher than the Alaska state average of 42%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 14:1 is lower than the Alaska state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 26% of the student body (majority American Indian), which is lower than the Alaska state average of 53% (majority American Indian).
Birchwood Abc Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Alaska for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Birchwood Abc Elementary School's student population of 292 students has declined by 10% over five school years.
The teacher population of 21 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Birchwood Abc Elementary School is ranked within the top 5% of all 461 schools in Alaska (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Birchwood Abc Elementary School is 0.44, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.71. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (AK)
Overall Testing Rank
#19 out of 461 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, AK Dept. of Education
Review Birchwood Abc Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Missing Children: Why Public Schools Need to Improve Security Policies
Learn about the case of Kyle Horman, a child who went missing while on campus, and how this tragedy is prompting public schools to reevaluate their security measures.
Paupers and Princes: Economic Inequality at Public Schools
The economic divide between our nation's public school students is growing wider and deeper. Learn about a new federal report that reveals the growing ranks of poverty-stricken public schools.
Can You Afford a Stellar Public School Education?
Dissect "America's Best Schools for Your Housing Buck" and learn about the top ranked public schools in America in cities where the median home price is as low as $200,000.