Rigorous Curriculum Produces College and Career Readiness
According to the National School Board Association, a “rigorous curriculum” is required to produce “college and career-ready graduates,” but beyond that statement, the processes involved in reaching that goal become somewhat murky. How do schools know if the curriculum presented to students is “rigorous” enough to ensure success? The report does take the time to define “rigorous curriculum” accurately to make it easier to assess high schools and their ability to prepare students for the future.
- The standards are aligned with college and work expectations
- They are clear, concise, and easy to understand
- The standards include rigorous content
- They build upon the strengths of current state standards
- They prepare students to compete in a global workforce
- The standards are evidence-based