Roane County School District
- For the 2019-20 school year, there are 5 public schools managed by Roane County School District serving 2,304 students in Left Hand, West Virginia.
- Minority enrollment is 2% of the student body (majority Black and Hispanic), which is less than the West Virginia state average of 10%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 15:1 is equal to the state average of 15:1.
Roane County School District (2019-20)
- School Location Grades Students
- Left Hand Geary Elementary Middle School 9538 Clay Road
Left Hand, WV 25251
Grades: PK-8 | 314 students
- Spencer Spencer Elementary School 85 Clay Road
Spencer, WV 25276
Grades: PK-4 | 559 students
- Spencer Spencer Middle School 102 Chapman Avenue
Spencer, WV 25276
Grades: 5-8 | 429 students
- Walton Walton Elementary Middle School 90 School Drive
Walton, WV 25286
Grades: PK-8 | 337 students
|School District Name||Roane County School District|
|# of Schools||n/a|
|# of Students||2,304 students|
|# of Teachers||154 Teacher(s)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
|# of Male Students||1,210 students|
|% Male Students|
|# of Female Students||1,094 students|
|% Female Students|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||4 students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||4 students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||12 students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||13 students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||2,258 students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||13 students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||117|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||159|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||152|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||164|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||168|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||172|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||169|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||172|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||192|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||174|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||182|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||154|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||173|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||156|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-|
- Roane County School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 57 school districts in West Virginia (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 90-94% has increased from 75-79% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (WV)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $10,229 in this school district is less than the state average of $11,848. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $11,405 is less than the state average of $12,887. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||This State (WV)|
|Total Revenue||$25 MM||$42 MM|
|Spending||$28 MM||$45 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$10,229||$11,848|
|Spending / Student||$11,405||$12,887|
As the school year kicks into full swing, we examine the many fees and other hidden costs lurking in a “free” public education today.
Being a parent is never easy, but some children are more challenging than others. If you're concerned that your child's behavioral issues might be more than just temporary, consider whether an alternative school might be the next move.
All students deserve to have an equal chance at academic success but not every student learns in the same way. Alternative schools provide students with unique challenges or abilities an opportunity to succeed in a different educational setting. Keep reading to learn more about alternative schools and their impact on college admissions.