North Slope Borough School District
- For the 2020 school year, there are 11 top public schools in North Slope Borough School District, serving 2,144 students.
- Public school in North Slope Borough School District have an average math proficiency score of 14% (versus Alaska public school average of 32%), and reading proficiency score of 14% (versus 39% Alaska statewide average). This district's average school ranking is in the bottom 50% of public schools in Alaska.
- The school with highest math proficiency is Fred Ipalook Elementary School, with 26% math proficiency. Read more about public school math proficiency statistics in Alaska or national school math proficiency statistics.
- The school with highest reading language/arts proficiency is Barrow High School, with 20-24% reading language/arts proficiency. Read more about public school reading language/arts proficiency statistics in Alaska or national school reading language/arts proficiency statistics.
- Minority enrollment is 98% of the student body (majority American Indian) , which is more than the Alaska public school average of 52% (majority American Indian).
- The student:teacher ratio of 13:1 is less than the Alaska public school average of 17:1.
|School District Name||North Slope Borough School District|
|School District Website||http://www.nsbsd.org|
|School District Phone Number||(907)852-5311|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AK)|
|# of Schools||11 Schools||506 Schools|
|# of Students||2,144 Students||132,726 Students|
|# of Teachers||162 Teachers||7,790 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1||17:1|
- North Slope Borough School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 54 school districts in Alaska (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 75-79% has increased from 55-59% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (AK)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||1,638 Students||30,377 Students|
|% American Indian Students|
|# of Asian Students||126 Students||7,849 Students|
|% Asian Students|
|# of Hispanic Students||9 Students||8,927 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||16 Students||4,077 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||51 Students||63,436 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||70 Students||3,811 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students|
|# of Two or more races Students||234 Students||14,249 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||264||3,246|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||163||10,274|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||158||10,431|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||176||10,523|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||158||10,474|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||152||10,320|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||155||10,116|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||165||9,750|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||137||9,620|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||135||9,410|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||124||9,615|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||105||9,567|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||120||9,646|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||132||9,734|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||-|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $30,649 is higher than the state average of $25,218. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $33,575 is higher than the state average of $25,399. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AK)|
|Total Revenue||$59 MM||$10 MM|
|Spending||$65 MM||$10 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$30,649||$25,218|
|Spending / Student||$33,575||$25,399|
North Slope Borough School District Public Schools (2020)
School (Math/Reading Proficiency | AK School Rank)
- Wainwright Alak School 567 Main St
Wainwright, AK 99782
Grades: PK-12 | 167 students
- Barrow Barrow High School 1684 Okpik St
Barrow, AK 99723
Grades: 9-12 | 232 students
- Barrow Eben Hopson Middle School 6501 Transit St
Barrow, AK 99723
Grades: 6-8 | 256 students
- Barrow Fred Ipalook Elementary School 2070 Ahkovak St
Barrow, AK 99723
Grades: PK-5 | 674 students
- Kaktovik Harold Kaveolook School 2001 Barter Ave
Kaktovik, AK 99747
Grades: PK-12 | 62 students
- Point Lay Kali School 1029 Qasigialik St
Point Lay, AK 99759
Grades: PK-12 | 102 students
- Barrow Kiita Learning Community 5246 Karluk Street
Barrow, AK 99723
Grades: 9-12 | 56 students
- Atqasuk Meade River School 4001 Kippi St
Atqasuk, AK 99791
Grades: PK-12 | 85 students
- Nuiqsut Nuiqsut Trapper School 3310 3rd Ave
Nuiqsut, AK 99789
Grades: PK-12 | 153 students
- Anaktuvuk Pass Nunamiut School 114 Illinois St
Anaktuvuk Pass, AK 99721
Grades: PK-12 | 110 students
- Point Hope Tikigaq School 1837 Tikigaq Ave
Point Hope, AK 99766
Grades: PK-12 | 247 students
Schools all over the country have closed their doors to slow the spread of COVID-19, forcing educators and parents to switch to online learning strategies. Read on to learn where to start with homeschooling and for helpful resources for learning at home.
As public schools in the United States continue to increase in their racial, ethnic, economic, and religious diversity, some districts need to rethink their holiday celebrations in a manner that is inclusive and respectful of all people.
As schools around the country close for two weeks or more, parents find themselves asking some tough questions. Read on to learn about the current and future impact of COVID-19 on students in public schools.