Sitka School District
- For the 2020-21 school year, there are 2 public middle schools in Sitka School District, serving 294 students. Public middle schools in Sitka School District have an average math proficiency score of 39% (versus the Alaska public middle school average of 30%), and reading proficiency score of 57% (versus the 42% statewide average). This district's average middle testing ranking is in the top 20% of public middle schools in Alaska.
- Minority enrollment is 51% of the student body (majority American Indian), which is less than the Alaska public middle school average of 54% (majority American Indian).
- The student:teacher ratio of 13:1 is less than the Alaska public middle school average of 18:1.
|School District Name||Sitka School District|
|School District Website||http://www.sitkaschools.org|
|School District Phone Number||(907) 747-8622|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AK)|
|# of Schools||2 Schools||313 Schools|
|# of Students||294 Students||56,335 Students|
|# of Teachers||23 Teachers||3,122 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1||18:1|
- Sitka School District, which is ranked within the top 20% of all 52 school districts in Alaska (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 75-79% has increased from 60-64% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (AK)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||89 Students||18,991 Students|
|% American Indian Students|
|# of Asian Students||24 Students||2,122 Students|
|% Asian Students|
|# of Hispanic Students||12 Students||2,500 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||1 Student||1,172 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||145 Students||25,789 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||6 Students||1,033 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students|
|# of Two or more races Students||17 Students||4,728 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||-||1,224|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||2||2,751|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||-||2,785|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||2||2,822|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||4||2,829|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||1||2,768|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||4||2,793|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||103||6,283|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||88||9,741|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||88||9,478|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||-||3,035|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||1||2,935|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||1||3,173|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||-||3,718|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||-|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $17,544 in this school district is less than the state average of $24,325. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $18,707 is less than the state average of $24,500. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AK)|
|Total Revenue||$23 MM||$10 MM|
|Spending||$25 MM||$10 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$17,544||$24,325|
|Spending / Student||$18,707||$24,500|
Gangs, drugs, and guns may be more prevalent on public school campuses than parents think. Learn about the high percentage of public school students who are exposed to these dangers each day – and what parents can do to protect their kids.
President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper initiative aims to improve academic opportunities for students of color, especially African-American boys.
Learn about how public schools across the country are mandating community service hours in order to graduate.